Having access to the Web is just the beginning! Starting out with an appropriate homepage (I personally use Google, because I usually start my surfing with questions that Google can answer.) Teachers can also make their personal blogs a homepage, or even classroom websites.
As a teacher, you can give students assignments that require them to use the internet and, as a teacher, you have the power to limit what websites students use. You can give students lists of "approved" web pages, or apply a filter or block to limit certain websites. You can also let students start from approved search engine such as askkids.com and kids.yahoo.com.
How do I manage students' use of the Web in my class?
You can start by creating an acceptable use policy (as detailed on pgs 162-163 of our text.) An acceptable use policy is essentially a list of rules that students should know before using the internet at school. It usually lists the acceptable and unacceptable behavior (and the consequences of using unacceptable behavior) for the classroom. Some schools also have filters on their computers which prevent students from accessing sites which they shouldn't (example: Facebook and other social media websites are blocked at many schools.)
Which features of the Web do I use?
It all really depends on your lesson- you are going to want to use the right tool for each lesson plan. You can use search engines to help fuel research papers and reports or tutorial websites to show how to make a cake or build a racecar. You can collaborate on the web by using document sharing software such as Google Docs. You can even communicate using the web by utilizing e-mail and IM services, as well as phone and video conference programs such as Skype.
For those of you unfamiliar with Skype- I absolutely recommend it! I've used it for interviews, general IMs, and to communicate with family while overseas. This program is awesom :]
No comments:
Post a Comment